Vincent S. Mezinko
Get in Touch
Vincent @ 419.244.4200
Call Beth @ 419.244.4200
Vince focuses his practice on Ohio Workers’ Compensation matters, limited to employer representation. His clients vary from sole proprietorships to large, self-insured employers.
Vince has experience in all facets of Ohio Workers’ Compensation, from the initial investigation of an injury, through the administrative process, violations of a specific safety requirement (VSSR), mandamus and into court. Vince has tried cases before the Ohio Court of Appeals and the Supreme Court of Ohio. Vince takes a special interest in small-to-medium size businesses when representing their interests before the Industrial Commission of Ohio and the courts.
As an example of his work related to employment issues and Workers’ Compensation benefits, Vince has achieved verdicts in favor of the employer via mandamus action on the issue of voluntary abandonment and establishing that the employee was terminated appropriately by the employer.
In an Ohio Workers’ Compensation case, he was successful in arguing before the Supreme Court of Ohio in re-opening a permanent total disability determination and obtaining a decision that an employee was not permanently and totally disabled.
Vince has earned designation as a Workers’ Compensation Specialist by the Ohio State Bar Association. In addition to defending employers’ interests in Workers’ Compensation matters, Vince also acts as an arbitrator for the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA).
Employment Issues Related to Workers' Compensation
- Obtained defense verdict for employer via mandamus action on the issue of voluntary abandonment of employment. Established that employee was terminated appropriately by the employer under the Louisiana-Pacific doctrine.
- Obtained defense verdict via mandamus action determining that employee violated work rules and established attendance problems leading to finding of voluntary abandonment of employment, successfully prohibiting payment of temporary total disability benefits.
Ohio Workers' Compensation Law
- Drafted and successfully obtained summary judgment for large self-insured employer, establishing injured worker did not meet the statute of limitations. Decision confirmed by the Court of Appeals of Ohio, Sixth Appellate District.
- Obtained defense verdict for self-insured employer from jury trial in Lucas County, concerning an additional allowance to injured worker's claim.
- Successfully defended employer in mandamus action by injured worker to establish that injured worker was not permanently and totally disabled.
- Successfully defended self-insured employer before the Supreme Court of Ohio in regard to re-opening of permanent total disability determination and successfully obtaining decision that injured was not permanently, totally disabled.
- Drafted successful motion for summary judgment for local self-insured employer, determining that injured worker was not in the course of, or arising out of, her employment when traveling home while engaged on a cell phone conversation with her supervisor.
University of Toledo College of Law, J.D., 1984
University of Toledo, B.S.C.J., magna cum laude, 1981
U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Ohio, 1985
Toledo Bar Association
Ohio Bar Association
Michigan Bar Association
Toledo Bar Association-Workers' Compensation Committee, Former Chair & Secretary
Super Lawyers (2004-2006, 2008-2011, 2016-2022)
Who's Who in Toledo Law - Workers' Compensation Law, Toledo Business Journal (2009 - 2013)