Douglas W. Huffman
Get in Touch
Douglas @ 419.423.4321
Call Patty @ 419.423.4321
Doug concentrates his practice on estate planning and commercial transactions. Doug provides all aspects of estate planning from drafting a simple will to a more complex planning that may include credit shelters, life insurance, retained annuities, trusts, gifting strategies and family limited partnerships.
In his business and corporate practice, he counsels small to mid-size enterprises. Doug has advised clients on leveraged buy out strategies and he has also negotiated exclusive manufacturing agreements with a Fortune 500 manufacturer.
Doug works on behalf of software and technology companies. He has experience in software licensing and development, and related business transactions. He works with single tech developers and a Fortune 500 company providing counsel on license agreement negotiations including end-user, reseller, distribution, OEM, and value-added-reseller license agreements.
Start-up businesses seek Doug’s advice on organizational structure and securing financing. Doug co-founded an angel investor club and negotiated over a dozen investments totaling over $25,000,000. In addition, Doug advised a startup client on structuring and negotiating a $3,000,000 investment with outside investors; and he drafted the operating agreement, members’ agreement, and investment documentation. Over the years Doug has represented many clients in selling their businesses including to private equity investors.
Doug listens to his clients and develops solutions that demonstrate a clear understanding of his clients’ needs and goals.
- Based on client needs, Doug provides estate planning that includes anything from a simple will to complex plans, including credit shelter, life insurance, retained annuity, charitable lend, charitable remainder and/or spousal limited access trusts, gifting strategies and family limited partnerships.
- Doug successfully advised client on sale of company from one leveraged buy-out firm to another leveraged buy-out firm.
- Doug advised client in negotiation of exclusive manufacturing agreement with Fortune 500 medical device manufacturer.
- Doug advised software companies ranging in size from single developers to a Fortune 500 Company in negotiating of license agreements, including end-user, reseller, distribution, OEM, and value-added-reseller license agreements.
Business Start Ups
- Doug advises clients on structuring and financing of new business.
- Doug co-founded and represents angel investor club which has negotiated over a dozen investments on behalf of its members totaling more than $20,000,000 since its inception in August, 2011.
- Doug advised start up client on structuring of new venture and negotiation of $3,000,000 investment by outside investors, including operating agreement, members agreement, and investment documentation.
The University of Michigan Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1976
Purdue University, Industrial Engineering, B.S., summa cum laude, 1973
Findlay Estate Planning Council
Findlay/Hancock County Bar Association
Ohio State Bar Association
Millstream Angel Club
Julie Cole Charitable Golf Outing
University of Findlay Planned Giving Council
City of Findlay Income Tax Board of Appeals
Camp Fire U.S.A. Northwest Ohio Charitable Trust Board of Directors
Blanchard Valley Port Authority
Blanchard Valley Health System
YMCA Foundation Board of Directors
Camp Fire NO-WE-OH Council Board of Directors
First Presbyterian Church Deacon and Elder
Hancock County Historical Museum Board of Directors
Hancock County Humane Society Foundation